Dravyaguna is an integral part of Ayurveda, which deals comprehensively about rasa, guna virya, vipaka and prabhava (pharmacokinetics and pharmcodynamics) of herbs. Branch also deals with identification, collection, storage, and preservation of raw materials of plant origin.Department works with objectives to provide knowledge of fundamental principles of Dravyaguna, drug action as per Ayurveda and conventional system of medicine. It also aims to develop research methodology for understanding of principles of Ayurvedic Pharmacology & Materia Medica balancing Classical & Contemporary knowledge.Dravyaguna Department focuses on conservation and cultivation aspects of medicinal planyts and also caters to the need of Health seekers by supplying the house hold medicinal plants which serve as remedy common ailments.
Impart quality education and achieve academic excellence in the principles of Ayurvedic Pharmacology & Materia Medica balancing Classical & Contemporary knowledge.
- Upholding the principles of Dravyaguna and promoting development of scientific temper for Ayurvedic Herbal Research
- Nurture the young talents to become skilled professional in pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of Ayurvedic medicinal plants
- Preserve endangered species of medicinal plants and herbs
- A well maintained acres of Herbal garden having 325 species, some important species are-Vishnukranta(Evolvulus alsinoides), Kushta(Arctium lappa), Guggulu(Commiphora mukul), Murva(Chonemorpha macrophylla), Bharangi (Clerodendron serratum), Kamala(Nelumbo nucifera), Kumuda(Nymphea stellata)etc.
- Well maintained Bonsai Garden of important medicinal plants and Developed Green House Nursery for cultivation of medicinal plant saplings and also caters to the need of Health seekers visiting our Institution and hospital by sale of medicinal plants at a nominal cost.
- Dravyaguna Dept. timely organizes workshop and hands on training in field of Plant identification (Basic botany), herbarium preparation techniques and seed ball workshop for conservation aspects.
- Department frequently has activities like field visits to nearby flora of Bengaluru and Vanamahotasava
- Besides market samples, drugs collected from natural habitat of dry( 293) and wet specimen(80) have been preserved.Plants preserved in formalin in their fresh state.Departmental library is enriched with 60 books of Dravyaguna, pharmacology, pharmacognosy & samhita etc.
- Herbarium includes 60 families.
- Department enoucarages Research aspect in students by guiding them for oral paper presentation and Publications in peer reviewd International Journal. As a Department Initiative quarterly News letter Dharithri has been brought out.Till now Four issues have been brought out from Dept.of Dravyaguna